Parents and carers of the students at Hope High are required to ensure that they receive sufficient full time education. Here at Hope High, we do all we can to support school attendance and take seriously any issues that may lead to non-attendance. Good school attendance is essential to ensure that all children and young people make the most of the educational opportunities available and achieve their full potential whilst ensuring that all students stay safe. We believe this sets good habits for later in life, and ultimately if your child is not in school they cannot learn!
School attendance and the law
By law, all children of compulsory school age must receive a suitable full-time education. As a parent or guardian, you have a legal responsibility to make sure this happens. We take pride in our attendance figures and work with parents and carers to maintain such consistency.
Persistent absence guidelines
All pupils with below 90% attendance will be flagged as being persistently absent from school. If your child is identified as being persistently absent you may be asked to attend regular attendance reviews and your child’s attendance will be closely monitored by the Attendance Officer and Admin Team which will include;
- Regular contact with home
- Home visits
- Collecting pupils from home with parental support
The school’s responsibility
- School has a legal duty to record the attendance of every pupil, or record them absent or late.
- The register is taken at the beginning of both morning and afternoon sessions.
- If for any reason a pupil has an appointment to leave school during the day, school should be informed of this prior to the day.
- All class registers are completed showing the exact reasons for a student’s absence.
- All unexplained absences will be followed up and reported by the school to the Local Authority.
How to help your child improve their attendance record:
- Your child must come to school every day.
- Ensure that they arrive at school on time each day.
- Try to make hospital, doctor and dentist visits outside school hours.
- Please inform school in writing of any appointments known in advance.
- Don’t take holidays in term time – requests for family holidays in term time will not be authorised unless under exceptional circumstances. If something is stopping your child from coming to school, please let us know. Please contact the school on the first day of absence before 9.15am on 01695 721066.